For info: 203-689-7004

4 Legal Documents for College Students to Sign This Thanksgiving

legal documents for college kids
Guess What? College kids are coming home this week. What are you going to serve them for Thanksgiving dinner? Why, you’re going to put the following legal documents for college students on their plate because it’s THAT important. If you didn’t get them to sign before they left for school, now’s the time to play catch up.

Did you know that once your child turns 18, they are considered a stranger to you under HIPAA laws? So if something should happen to your kid, you have no access to speak with their doctor or hospital personnel. Scary, right?

Four legal documents for college students I highly recommend you get before your kids head back off to college in a few days are the following:

1. Durable Power of Attorney. This allows your child to authorize you to manage his/her financial affairs during any incapacitation such as pay bills, apply for any social security or government benefits, and opening and closing of accounts. Sample form

2. Medical Power of Attorney. Allows your child to authorize you to make medical decisions if he or she can’t. Sample form

3. HIPAA Authorization. Your child allows you access to medical records. While the POA does this, your child must be incapacitated for it to kick in. With the HIPAA form, you can inquire at any time. Sample form

4. FERPA Release. Since you are probably paying for college, this form allows you to speak with the school about your child’s grades, etc. Just ask the college directly for this form since each usually have their own form that they use for this purpose.

Don’t wait until it’s too late!

Your End of Life Doula

Contact Us

Need end-of-life doula services?

Contact us today.
2269 Long Hill Road
Guilford, CT 06437